8/11/2014 - Busy, making fufu, zone visit to Ouidah



Hey family!
It's been a crazy week!  We were like always really busy and didn't have much time.  I was just looking in my agenda to see what all we did this week.  We got a batch of new missionaries earlier this week.  We left on Wednesday morning to take some of them over to Togo.  We received three Tahitians, two from Congo, and one from Togo.  We brought all three of the Tahitians over to Togo.  The other three stayed here.  We came back on Thursday morning so it was not a long visit.  

On Friday we had our Leadership council with all the zone leaders and the sister leader trainer. I really like those meetings. There always seems to be something that I can get out of them that really applies to me now or can help me improve.  This time Sister Morin talked about Praying with Faith.  I feel that multiple times during my mission I have worked on my prayers but it is so easy to slip into routines and laziness with prayer.  To have consistent effective prayers is not easy.  So, I recommitted myself to again put more effort into my prayers.  

Saturday we had our mission preparation class.  There was just one person there and we were waiting for the others and so we started to play a little soccer on the road outside the apartment.  It was fun and we saw a young couple that was walking by and they stopped and talked with us for a while and they were intrigued by what we said about the church and the restoration.  God works in mysterious ways.  

Sunday after church we made some fufu in our apartment.  We borrowed a bowl mortier thing from cococodji and a pilon.  Fufu is mashed up ingnam until it becomes like a stretchy playdough kind of stuff.  I'm sure you could look up more about it online.  While you’re at it look up how they mash it.  Its crazy!  Sometimes they get like 5 ladies that stand in a circle and take turns hammering in a big old stump bowl.  They get this rhythm going - it’s really cool.  I bet you could find some more on it because it’s hard to explain.  Anyways we made our own at our apartment.
  
And as for this morning - We had an activity with the Calavi Zone in Ouidah.  Ouidah is a village that is between Cotonou and the border as you head to Togo. It is the Voodoo capital of the world.  There is a Portuguese fort that they have turned into a little museum, a python temple, point of no return (where their boats took sail with the slaves for the last time) and lots of other stuff to do.  I tried to take some pictures and I’ll attach them in a couple emails.  It was interesting and fun.  The weather cooperated and everyone was safe and happy and tired. 

This week President Morin has a seminar with the 70 leaders of West Africa in Ghana almost all this week.  This means we will have a little more time in our secteur [area] than usual. Just a little though because we still have some more things to do and a meeting on Friday.  It just never ends.  

Well that’s all for this week!

loves
Elder Rybin
???